Taking care of your aging loved one can be overwhelming, especially if you don’t live with them. If taking care of personal needs like cooking, cleaning, dressing, and moving around is challenging, you can engage a senior home care provider to cater to their needs. Senior home care support allows your loved ones to receive personal care as they continue to live in their home. Here is all you need to know about senior home care services.
What is Senior Home Care?
Also known as domiciliary care, senior home care is the supportive or health care a home care agency or a professional caregiver provides to an older adult in their home. It is an excellent alternative to senior residential facilities, like nursing homes.
It consists of a wide range of supportive care, including paramedical aid by nurses and assistance for daily living for the elderly. Senior home healthcare for the elderly is better, affordable, and increases satisfaction compared to other options.
It helps senior people who need additional support stay in their homes for as long as possible. You might consider home healthcare in Columbia, MD if:
- Your aging loved one prefers not to move to a nursing home.
- They find it challenging to cope with daily living, including washing, cleaning, dressing, taking medicine, or moving in and out.
- Their home is safe and suitable for them to live in as they age.
- They are recovering from an illness or surgery and need a professional caregiver.
What Does Senior Home Care Entail?
The best thing about senior home care is that the provider can offer a personalized home care plan depending on your needs. It may range from a few hours to full-time live-in care, depending on your particular situation.
The kinds of services available include:
- Preparing meals and drinks
- Getting in and out of bed
- Help with toileting
- Help with shopping, paying bills, and collecting a pension
- Companionship and supervision
- Help getting out of the house and socializing
- Personal care, including washing, dressing, and hygiene
- Health-related tasks recommended by the doctor
- Administering prescription medications
Advantages of Senior Home Care
- It allows a senior to stay home, hence more comfort in a familiar environment.
- It allows seniors to retain their autonomy, unlike moving into a nursing home.
- The home care agency is responsible for vetting staff, ensuring they work to the set standards and covering absences.
- It is cheaper than moving into a residential senior care facility.
- A senior gets personalized care, since the caregiver has enough time to attend to them.
- It gives a senior more comfort and peace of mind.
Senior home care is flexible, providing different forms of care without a long-term commitment. It involves support and health care for the elderly while they continue to live in their homes for as long as possible. However, care may not be available 24/7 unless one has a live-in caregiver.