Do you get a lot of sleep during the night? Are you doing something that affects your sleeping patterns? While most of us take sleeping for granted, it is crucial that we get enough of it. Getting sufficient sleep is good for the body, which is why you need to monitor your sleeping schedule. You track your food habits. You manage your exercise routine. So it comes as no surprise that you have to do the same for sleep. A sleeping calculator could be what you need if you wish to track your sleeping habits. We are going to learn all there is to sleep calculators. We’ll find out what they are, how they work, and so on.
What Is A Sleep Calculator? How Does It Work?
A sleep calculator is anything that suggests the best time for you to hit the sack. In addition, it also allows you to calculate the best time to wake to wake up. Most calculators will check how many sleep cycles you finish after you set a schedule.
How About A Sleep Cycle? What Is It?
A sleeping cycle is what your brain does as you fall asleep. The brain goes under a plethora of activities during a sleep cycle. These activities have patterns that involve eye and muscle movement. Studies conclude that there are two primary sleep cycles from these activities: REM sleep and non-REM sleep.
- REM Sleep
Rapid eye movement or REM sleep is a sleeping variant that happens every hour after you hit the sack. Dreams occur and end during REM sleep.
- Non-REM Sleep
Non-REM sleep has three main parts. The last two stages are where you are in deep sleep. It is tremendously challenging to wake up from this kind of sleep.
One complete sleep cycle ranges from ninety to a hundred minutes. And as you sleep, your body will cycle around REM and Non-REM sleep.
How Much Sleep Do I Need?
Every age cycle requires a different amount of sleep.
- Infants usually require at least 15 hours of sleep each day.
- Preschoolers and toddlers need about 11 to 12 hours.
- Teenagers require eight to nine hours of sleep.
- Adults must have at least seven to eight hours of rest.
- Pregnant women need a lot more sleep during the first trimester.
So Should I Stick To A Routine?
You have to keep up with a routine once you start using a sleep calculator. It is crucial that you constantly get to bed and wake up each day. Once you maintain a schedule, your body adjusts. This aspect means that you will use an alarm clock way less. You will develop a body clock. Here are some tips to help you with maintaining that sleep schedule.
- Do not use any gadgets or devices sometime before you sleep. Doing so will reduce any distractions that your brain might suffer from any moment.
- Meditate. Do take note that millions of people have trouble sleeping because they overthink too much. Meditating before you sleep will help clear your thoughts.
- While a cold one seems tempting, you can opt to drink something warm and calming instead. Choose a drink that will soothe your senses, such as tea or milk.
- You can also customize your bedroom for total relaxation and rest. Use bedroom articles that will help you relax. It also helps that you improve your room’s aesthetics.
Something About Sleep Deprivation
When you have sleep deprivation, it means that you are not getting the proper amount of sleep. Here are some of the signs that indicate you suffer from sleep deprivation.
- You tend to fall asleep a couple of minutes after you lay down.
- You feel drowsy at certain times of the day.
- You nod off to a microsleep. Microsleep is a short moment of rest during the day where you are awake.
Some Sleeping Disorders
You might think that sleep deprivation is the only thing you should worry about if you don’t get enough sleep. The truth is you might want to think twice. You might suffer from one of the numerous sleeping disorders if you don’t rest properly. Here are some of the sleep disorders below.
Insomnia is a disorder when an individual has difficulty sleeping during the night.
Do you suddenly fall asleep during the day? This occurrence is narcolepsy. The disorder can last for a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes.
Restless leg syndrome or RLS is where you feel a sensation in your legs. The feeling includes prickling and tingling. You will feel the urge to give your legs a kick for relief if that is the case.
- Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea occurs when you have trouble breathing during sleep. Having sleep apnea will require you to have a breathing device for better z’s during the night.
Snoring is the result of tiredness due to activities during the day. This disorder can interrupt the sleep of other individuals around the one suffering from it.
The Importance Of Sleep
Sleep is paramount for a ton of reasons. And a good rest will have a ton of benefits. Check some of them out below.
- Having decent sleep helps regulate hormonal release. You will eat, grow and heal better.
- The brain will function more efficiently.
- Sleeping properly also reduces the risks for heart conditions.
- It also helps with correct weight management.
- A good rest can assist in lowering the risk for other health disorders.
- The practice also builds your physical performance and agility.
- Sleeping properly reduces the risk of depression.
So Are You Ready To Catch Some Zs?
Using a sleep calculator will tremendously affect your sleeping pattern. However, it does not end there. You will have to back it up by maintaining it. You will also have to eat and drink properly. Don’t think too much before you hit the sack. Doing so will result in a better sleeping experience.