Flax seed is a seed obtained from the plant LINUM USITATISSIMUM. Flax seed oil is commonly know as Linseed oil and source of Polyunsaturated Fatty acid. It contains both Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty acids also have essential fatty acid which contains Alpha linolenic acid. There are lots of benefits and uses of Flaxseeds that we will going to discuss here.
Mammals body can converts this Alpha linolenic acid into Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Flaxseed contains a chemical called as Lignans that is why Flax seed is the richest vegetable source of Lignans.
Flax Seeds Available Forms
Flax seed come in a variety of form :
- Liquid form : In Liquid form it is basically available in oil form commonly know as linseed oil.
- Whole Flax seed, crushed flax seed.
- Capsule form as a supplementary.
How to Use Flax Seeds
Flax seed can be taken in any form but cant be heated .It should be stored at cold temperature but used at room temperature. Flax seed must kept away from heat and sunlight. During buying flax seed should be in airtight or sealed or vacuum packed.Flax seed can be used in any ways:
- Flax seed can be grounded and use as toppings on salad.
- Mix with Oat meal ,cereals and pulses.
- Flax seed oil can replace butter or oil in our food.
- Crushed Flax seed can be mixed with juices.
- Mix with yogurt, smoothies, thick soups and shakes.
Top 10 Benefits of Flaxseed
1. High in fiber : Flax seed contain high level of mucilage gum . Mucilage increases nutrient absorption by keeping food in stomach from emptying into small intestine.It is extremely high in both soluble and insoluble fiber which is helpful in colon detoxification.
2. Flax Seed Benefit For Hair and Skin : By applying Flax seed oil on hair and Skin it will reduce the roughness and dryness of hair and skin ,also reduces acne, eczema. Oil can be mixed with lotion for applying.
3. Benefits of Flax Seeds for Weight loss: Due to high content of Omega 3 Acid and less carbohydrate, Flax seed is very beneficial in weight loss. By regular using Flax Seeds in diet can help you reduce lot of weight.
4. High in Antioxidants: They are packed with antioxidants for anti-aging, cellular growth and Hormone balance.
5 Flaxseeds Benefits In Digestion: Flax seed is used as a Laxatives because it contains both soluble and insoluble fiber so person suffering from constipation can be overcome.
6. Flax Seeds Benefits for Cancer : Intake of Flax seed may decrease the risk of cancer. Lignans can be converted by intestinal bacteria into enterolactone and enterodiol which balance hormones.
7. Menopausal Symptoms: Flax seed is used as an alternative hormone therapy in a menopausal women because it contains Lignans which has estrogen Property.
8. Gluten Free: People suffering from Celiac disease are sensitive to gluten, as Flax seed are gluten free so can be used to such patients in any form.
9. Lowering cholesterol : Flax seed contains Flavonoids which lowers the LDL (low density lipoprotein) . High LDL is linked with heart disease.
10 Rheumatoid arthritis
11 In Inflammation: Flax seed contains ALA which will reduce inflammation.
So these are some uses and benefits of Flax seeds. If you use it regularly, you can benefit a lot and avoid lots of diseases.