Best Natural Home remedies for Acid Reflux
Our stomach normally releases the acid from the gastric glands which helps in the breakdown of the food and helps in the digestion. Excess of the acid production in the stomach causes acidity or acid reflux. It is a most common problem affected to all people of the age. Now below is the description of the causes, symptoms and home remedies for the treatment of the Acid reflux or acidity with diet.
Acid Reflux Causes
- Consumption of alcohol
- Highly spicy food
- Non- vegetarian diet
- Non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs
Acid Reflux Symptoms
- Chest pain
- Food getting stuck
- Burning(Heart burn)
- Eroded tooth enamel
15 Simple Natural Home remedies for Acid Reflux
1. Basil Leaves
- Basil leaves provide instant relief from acidity, gas and nausea.
- Chew few basil leaves properly for instant relief.
- Boil 4-5 Basil leaves in a cup of water.
- Simmer it for few minutes.
- Add a tsp of honey in it for the taste.
- Sip it frequently.
- Buttermilk also know as chaas,it contains lactic acid which normalize the acidity in the stomach.
- Drink a glass of plain buttermilk ,you can add black pepper for the taste.
- Cinnamon works as a natural antacid and good for the digestion .
- Boil half tsp of cinnamon powder in a cup of water.
- Simmer it for few seconds .
- Drink this cinnamon tea 2-3 times in a day.
- Cloves reduces the irritation due to acid reflux.
- Eat cloves as raw or Add cloves to a cup of boiling water and drink it.
5. Cumin Seeds
- Cumin seeds stimulates digestion and reduce digestive issue like gas.
- Eat 1 tsp of cumin seeds or follow it with water.
6. Apple cider vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar aids in the digestion and helps in balancing the production of the acid in the stomach.
- Mix 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water.
- Drink this solution 20-30 minutes before meal.
7. Yellow Mustard
- Yellow mustard helps in the neutralizing the acid in the stomach.
- Eat 1 tsp of yellow mustard for instead relief.
- Drink it with a glass of water.
8. Ginger root tea
- Ginger root tea ease in reducing the nausea and acid reflux.
- Boil 3 slice of ginger root in a cup of water ,simmer it .
- Covered for 20 minutes ,strain it.
- Drink 20 minutes before meal.
9. Eat Banana
- Banana possess high ph values, it stimulates the more secretion of mucous hence reduce the acid reflux.
10. Aloe juice
- Aloe juice reduces the rate of inflammation and ease the symptoms of acid reflux.
- Drink a half glass of juice before meal.
- Aloe has a laxative property so try to avoid excess of aloe.
11. Baking soda
- Baking soda is a natural antacid which reduces the symptoms of the acid reflux.
- Add a tsp of baking soda to a cup of water .
- Drink this solution for instead relief.
12. Cold milk
- Drink chilled milk to reduce the effect of the acid reflux.
- Add few mint leaves to a boiling water.
- Steep for 10 minutes and drink it.
- Amla improves digestion and prevent the acid reflux.
- Eat amla as raw or add salt to it for taste.
15. Saunf or Fennel
- Fennel improves the digestion and suppress stomach spasm.It has an anti inflammatory property.
- Eat 1 tsp of fennel after meal.
- Boil 1-2 tsp of fennel seeds in a cup of water.
- Steep it for 10 minutes and strain it.
- Drink it 2-3 times in a day.
Diet for Acid Reflux
Management of the diet is very important, Symptoms of acid reflux occurs because acid moves backward from the stomach into the esophagus. It happened because of the weakened lower esophageal sphincter(LES).
The following foods must be avoided:
High fat foods
- Full fat dairy products like butter, cheese
- Fatty fried beef,lamb, pork
- Creamed soups or foods
- High fat desert like ice cream,pastries,cake
- Caffeinated soft drinks
- Citrus fruits and juices
- Spicy foods
- Foods that may help in reducing the symptoms of acid reflux
- Fiber ( raw vegetables)
Acid reflux or Acidity can be treated at home by home remedies, Balancing good diet, increasing physical activity.